General overview with options
WHAT IS A PAINTING COMMISSION?
A “painting commission” or “commissioning a painting” or a “commissioned artwork” all refers to one thing: the artist is working with you to create an artwork that fits your custom vision, within the scope of their signature style and expertise.
WHY COMMISSION A PAINTING?
A few reasons for commissioning a painting. One of the first is if you have a very specific size in mind, a very specific imagery or color scheme, or a very specific budget in mind — other than what you’ve seen of the artist’s existing inventory. You might’ve fallen in love with an existing original oil painting, only to find out that it’s already been sold — you could commission the artist to paint one similarly but in a size that works for you.
WHY COMMISSION A RACHEL’S RAINY DAYS PAINTING?
Rachel Brask has been steadily been building momentum in her painting practice, and will soon have a longer wait list for painting commissions, so get yours in now! What’s more calming and beautiful than taking one of your favorite places and viewing it through that cozy rainy-day feeling of a oil painting created just for you?
FOR WHAT REASONS DO PEOPLE COMMISSION AN ARTWORK?
As a gift for a partner, family member or friend. As a housewarming gift for someone (or as a gift to yourself for a new home!). As an interior design element to complete a specific home decor design. To commemorate an experience, milestone, or memory as a painting. As a surprise gift for an anniversary or a birthday.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF COMMISSIONING AN ARTWORK?
The very first step in the process is reaching out to the artist to let her know you’re interested in more information about commissioning a painting. From there, she’ll guide you through the process, but you can click through here to get a broader sense of the steps in the commissioning process.
A FEW THINGS TO CONSIDER:
- Painting commissions take some time — to communicate vision, for paint production, and for paint drying. Reach out earlier than later to see what’s possible.
- Consider how abstract or “realistic” you’re okay with your final painting being. Let the artist do what the artist is good at.
- The painting will vary slightly from the mockup/sketch to the final painting just because of the nature of paint application and the fundamental unpredictability of this rain technique process
- If you have a few ideas but not sure which one to do, the artist will discuss which would probably work best as a painting composition
- Payments are due throughout the painting commission process. You’ll get a quote up front which includes a few changes. If there are significantly more changes later in the process, additional hourly charges may be applied to the final balance (with notification).
- Any shipping fees are quoted separately from the painting price, at the completion of the painting when it is dry enough to safely pack and ship, or be hand delivered or picked up if within a local range to artist studio
Painting Commission Client Stories
Swipe/drag left or right on the images to see the before/after process photos of the painting commissions
Sunset Trees Triptych Commission
“Thank you Rachel for helping our vision to come to life. You were incredible in working with us from start to finish…”
~ Heather & Paul, RI
Grainy Day Triptych Rain Commission
“This is a great addition to our home and really warms our space…When [my daughter] first saw the paintings she asked if we each get one in our bedrooms.”
~ Aaron H., WI
Recapturing that Coastal Feeling Commission
“Looks great! So lovely!”