Day 9: My Truro Art Residency (Tuesday #2)

Now that I’m into my second week of the residency, I realize I only have a few more days to accomplish what I hoped to with my art…

Thankfully, I finally did get to sleep early enough that I awoke with enough time to drive to the beach at Race Point to catch a glimpse of the rising sun. The sunrise time was calculated at 6:43, and I arrived around 6:20. I was able to catch some of the lightening sky just before I was able to catch that signature solar-flare shot of the sun rising over the horizon. I will add that I chose Race Point Beach based on several reviews on TripAdvisor, Cape Cod online tourism sites, etc. At least a few said that you could catch the sunrise with a great view while drinking coffee from the comfort of your car. Well, this is what I was expecting.

But…the angle that the parking lot is at in relation to the direction of the rising sun made it so that no matter where I parked my car, the actual sun would be blocked by a big sand dune hill until the sun was over it. So, wearing just my slipper flats for footwear, I got out of my car in the 35*F weather and walked in the cold, cold sand until I got a perspective that captured the rise of the sun. It was windy, cold, and freezing. I took a million photos with both my digital SLR and my iPhone. After the sun had breached the horizon, I was content to jump back into my car, after dumping out several ounces of sand from my shoes and socks. My feet were frozen, and I was almost afraid that mild frostbite might be a problem. I blasted the car’s heat on high, maxing out the foot-heating setting. After a few minutes, I could feel feeling again in my toes, but I was still really chilled. I drove back to the house and wrapped blanket upon blanket on me until I finally felt human again.

All that to say that I’m really happy that I got up early enough to actually see the sunrise. I wish that I had the motivation, and alertness, to rise earlier with the sun. On my short drive back to campus, I took a few side roads where a sign pointing to “beach” was to explore what the other local beach views offered. I was excited to discover that there was at least one other obscure beach that faced the Atlantic Ocean, with a much better arranged parking lot enabling me to park and see the sunrise without needing to get sandy feet. I decided that I would try the sunrise again tomorrow, this time from a new location.

After I returned to the Edgewood Farm Campus, I returned to the dirt road painting that I had begun the night before. I finished putting a few more heavier dabs of paint on the canvas, then I drizzled it with stand oil. While I waited for that to sit drip a bit, I returned to the green canvas that I experimented with some texture studies from yesterday. I wasn’t really pleased with how the dry scraped parts of the canvas looked, so I took a brush and re-smeared everything, smoothing and blending to get a much more pleasing surface. After finishing that, I bounced back to the sandy road painting and used my brushes and stand oil to begin the smearing and rain effect application to that canvas.

IMG_5550.jpegJust after I had finished up the application of these paintings, it was coming close to noon, when we were going to go over to the main farm house to have a potluck with the other art residents and staff of Castle Hill. The theme of the potluck was Mexican food,

but since Nan, Kara and I were all focused on our artwork for the residency, we didn’t have time to be culinarily creative, so we just picked up taco supplies from Stop & Shop, and brought them over. People made and brought tortilla soup, broccoli quiche, tacos, homemade guacamole, nachos, chili, and more! It was great to meet some of the other residents and staff from the Truro Center for the Arts. Altogether, we had about 11 people, and there was much delicious food and good conversation about art and life.

Since there was another impending snowstorm forecasted for Wednesday (tomorrow), I wanted to get out and explore some of the woods and trails nearby to the campus, and today seemed like a good day to do it. After the potluck dispersed, Nan and I followed a trail up the hill to a bench at the top of a beautiful overlook. We

stopped to snap photos and pick up pine cones and firewood kindling along the way. Then Nan and I stopped by her studio in the printmaking shop, chatting about her latest paintings of the garment she had created from foraged materials. She has a really beautiful painterly way about her brushstrokes, and an fine way of capturing light in her paintings.

After I left Nan, I decided now was also a good time to check out the path that one of the staff had told us was a 1.5 mile trail that goes through the woods and ends up at the beach. I started walking, and kept walking and walking. It felt like a warm day, even though it was only about 36*F outside, but coupled with the sunshine, it felt more like the mid 40s. Along my walk I took a bunch of photos, hopefully some that I can use later for a muse for some paintings. The air also smelled absolutely wonderful, as I was walking I’d occasionally whiff the scent of fireplace, that wonderful burning wood perfume.

It was a thoroughly good walk, although I was getting a little chilled by the end of it. I returned to my studio to work further on feathering the drips in the sandy road painting. Here’s a few shots of the drips and dips process.

In the later evening, for dinner, we made quesadacos, or tacodillas, or part quesadilla, part taco,out of the extra foodstuffs left over from the potluck. They were pretty delicious. Nan, Kara and I then got talking about music and instruments, which then lead to us looking up WikiHow and YouTube tutorials on the proper form for doing an impressive spoon rhythm…which then lead to Kara becoming an expert on playing the spoons like a pro. It was a good way to laugh off the evening, be a little silly, and relax a bit. Tomorrow is a new day, and I’m hoping to get some more sunrise photos from the new spot I’ve found.