Day 8: My Truro Art Residency (Monday #2)

In today’s edition, grogginess, procrastination, and texture studies…

At the end of my Day 7 blog post, I concluded the entry saying that I planned to get up early the next morning to see the sun rise over the ocean. Welp… that didn’t happen. I set my alarm to 5:45am to have enough time to get over to see the 6:45am sunrise. I slept through the first alarm, slept IMG_7440through snooze twice. Once I finally did awaken enough to be fully conscious, it was close to 9:30am. It is very rare that I sleep quite that late. I think the wear and tear of my residency is beginning to catch up with me — late nights painting leads to morning grogginess. I even tried to to my hair all fancy, like something from Avonlea, with the side twists and the back rolled into itself. I used a lot of bobby pins to keep the hair in place.

That said, I didn’t end up getting to start painting until almost close to 11am. I was just really slow at everything I tried to do, and getting to the canvas seemed to take great effort. Once I did get rolling, I went in to see  how far the blue painting from the day before had dripped, then I feathered it out and moved paint around the surface to get a smoother result. Then I revisited the sunset painting, which had dripped only a small bit that night.

I moved the aurora borealis painting from its easel over with the other semi-finished paintings on the wall, to make way for a newer small canvas. I wanted to do just a simple painting with simple colors to do a texture study. I had brought with me a few textured palette knives with serrated IMG_7499and undulating edges, and I want to see what kind of mark-making impact they could have on the surfaces of one of my rain paintings. I had also picked up a rather peculiar looking tool at the Ptown art supply store — it looked like a flattened, narrow comb.

So I painted a bunch of daubs of different yellows, blues and greens, not concerned if they blended with one another because they were all secondary to green. After applying those colors, I applied the stand oil to drip, then I smeared the paint with a brush. After letting it drip for about an hour on its own, I applied each of the palette knives and that metal comb thing, and here are some of the results. I am pleased wth some of these, although some of these tools removed just a smidgen too much paint.

During the late afternoon, I struggled again to determine the next direction for what I would paint. I had moved a second former canvas to the wall, IMG_7539.jpgleaving now a blank canvas on an easel beckoning to be painted. I looked through and found a few photos from the day before that I sorted through to determine what would be painted next.

I took a dinner break early, hoping that it would enable me to get in a few hours’ studio time before going to sleep earlier than in past nights, so that I could actually think about getting up early enough to try again to catch a sunrise. For dinner I made a combination of ramen noodles cooked in chicken noodle soup, paired with crackers, for a nice, noodley soup.

IMG_7576.jpgThere’s something about taking a break, fueling up, and then being able to charge back in. When I returned to the studio, I had the vision to paint from one of the photos I took of a dirt road through the hills, taken during our offroading adventure the day before. I began applying paint for the underlayers, gradually building up the texture and the range of shades.

Eventually, I had to turn in with a more responsible bedtime tonight that I had in nights prior, if I wanted to catch the sunrise. So I said goodnight to my dirt road painting, and turned in for the night.