Rachel Brask’s solo exhibition was featured in an article in April 5-11, 2017 issue of The Valley Breeze.
Flip through virtual newspaper e-edition here.
Online article here.
Read the full body of article below:
Samaritans of Rhode Island launches 40th anniversary year with exhibit and events
PAWTUCKET – The Samaritans of Rhode Island will host a “Meet the Artist” reception this Friday, April 7, at the agency’s Forget-Me-Not Gallery, 67 Park Place in Pawtucket, as a kickoff to a series of 40th anniversary events.
The reception, from 6 to 9 p.m., will showcase the contemporary art of East Providence resident Rachel Brask titled “Abstracted Rainy Moments.” The exhibit will provide the inspiration for National Poetry Month events including poetry writing workshops for new poets, an artist demonstration, readings by Galway Kinnell Poetry contest winners and a People’s Poetry Contest, according to a release.
Samaritans Executive Director Denise Panichas said she hopes the events will encourage new audiences to visit the gallery and learn more about the gallery’s purpose. The mission of the gallery is to partner with Rhode Island’s creative community to inspire hope and inspiration.
Planning committee members did a wonderful job of creating an exhibit and roster of events that will engage the community, said Panichas.
“I don’t think anyone will be disappointed,” she said.
The exhibit will be on display from Friday, April 7, through Friday, June 30. Starting this Friday, gallery hours will be Wednesday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. To register online for the poetry workshops and to see rules for the People Poetry Contest web submissions, see news and events at www.samaritansri.org or call 401-721-5220.
Other events include:
• A free interactive poetry workshop this Sunday, April 9, at 2:30 p.m.
• Celebrate National Poetry Month on Sunday, April 23, starting at 2:30 p.m., with a reading from Rhode Island Poet Laureate Tina Cane, and poetry readings with Pawtucket’s Galway Kinnell poetry contest winners. Reception to follow.
• A People’s Poetry Prize Contest, from Friday, April 7, to Sunday, April 30. Submit a poem inspired by the exhibition. Voting will happen on Facebook. Poems due May 1.
• A painting demonstration by Brask is planned for May 20, at 2:30 p.m. Watch the artist in motion as she paints live by the gallery. See how the Abstracted Rainy Moments series comes to life.
• A closing reception for Abstracted Rainy Moments will be held June 23, from 5 to 8 p.m. People’s Poetry Prize winners will be honored.
Visit www.samaritansri.org for registration information.